Click to Home
Stay Connected

Go To Search
Home Occupancy
Home Occupancy Permits
To operate a business in your home, you must obtain a home occupation permit as well as a business license. Businesses permitted range from a simple office to a handyman service to a floral delivery service. There is a one-time fee for a home occupation permit. For information, call the Planning and Zoning Department, 703-255-6341. A home occupation is permitted in any residential zone provided that the business complies with the following regulations:

  • Is operated entirely within the home.
  • Employs no person other than a member of the immediate family living in the home.
  • Creates no external evidence of the home occupation, including any advertisement other than a name plate no larger than 1.5 square feet in area.
  • Does not use more than 25% of the gross livable floor area, including the basement.
  • Does not use any internal combustion engine as a power source and does not use more than a total of three horsepower in electric motors.
  • Will not emit any excess sounds, odors, or smoke beyond the property.
  • No merchandise may be sold on the premises.
  • Customers or clients may call by appointment only.
  • All merchandise and equipment must be stored inside the home.
  • Deliveries to and from the home may be made only between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
  • Is not a boarding house, tourist home, massage therapist or massage therapy establishment, or principal office of a real estate business.

For more information, email the Planning and Zoning Department or call 703-255-6341.